The Income Tax Department has launched the new e-filing website for Income Tax Returns on 7th June 2021. The new income tax e-filing portal can be accessed at http://www.incometax.gov.in. It comes with new features which are expected to make the ITR process much smoother and faster.
Along with the launch of the new e-filing website, the Income Tax Department will also provide free of cost ITR preparation software for Forms ITR-1, ITR-2 and 4. The Ministry of Finance had said in a statement that ‘Free of cost ITR preparation software available with interactive questions to help taxpayers for ITRs 1, 4 (online and offline) and ITR 2 (offline) to begin with; Facility for preparation of ITRs 3, 5, 6, 7 will be made available shortly’.
What are the features of New e-filing website?
The new e-filing portal is aimed at providing taxpayer convenience and a modern, seamless experience to taxpayers. Some of the highlights of the new portal are detailed hereunder:
- New taxpayer friendly portal integrated with immediate processing of Income Tax Returns (ITRs) to issue quick refunds to taxpayers
- All interactions and uploads or pending actions will be displayed on a single dashboard for follow-up action by taxpayer
- Free of cost ITR preparation software available with interactive questions to help taxpayers for ITRs 1, 4 (online and offline) and ITR 2 (offline) to begin with; Facility for preparation of ITRs 3, 5, 6, 7 will be made available shortly
- Taxpayers will be able to proactively update their profile to provide certain details of income including salary, house property, business/profession which will be used in pre-filling their ITR. Detailed enablement of pre-filling with salary income, interest, dividend and capital gains will be available after TDS and SFT statements are -uploaded (due date is June 30th, 2021)
- New call center for taxpayer assistance for promt response to taxpayer queries. Detailed FAQs, User Manuals, Videos and chatbot/live agent also provided
- Functionalities for filing Income Tax Forms, Add tax professionals, Submit responses to Notices in Faceless Scrutiny or Appeals would be available
“New tax payment system will be launched on June 18th, 2021 after the advance tax installment date to avoid any taxpayer inconvenience. The mobile app will also be released subsequent to the initial launch of the portal, to enable taxpayers to get familiar with the various features,” the finance ministry statement said.