In terms of GoI notification F.No.4(5)-B(W&M)/2021 and RBI press release dated May 12, 2021, the Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2021-22 – Series I will be open for subscription for the period from May 17, 2021 to May 21, 2021. The nominal value of the bond based on the simple average closing price [published by the India Bullion and Jewellers Association Ltd (IBJA)] for gold of 999 purity of the last three business days of the week preceding the subscription period, i.e. May 11, May 12 and May 14, 2021 (May 13, 2021 being a holiday) works out to ₹4,777/- (Rupees Four thousand seven hundred and seventy-seven only) per gram of gold.
Further, The Government of India, in consultation with the Reserve Bank of India, has decided to offer a discount of ₹50/- per gram less than the nominal value to those investors applying online and the payment against the application is made through digital mode. For such investors, the issue price of Gold Bond will be ₹4,727/- (Rupees Four thousand seven hundred and twenty-seven only) per gram of gold.
Further, The scheme offers benefits of 2.5% interest and exemption on capital gains tax on redemption. The government initially launched the sovereign gold bond scheme in November 2015.
Eligibility and Benefits of Sovereign Gold Bond
- The bonds will be sold to resident Indian Individuals (Singly or Jointly), HUFs, Trusts, Universities and Charitable Institutions.
- The minimum permissible investment will be 1 gram of gold.
- The maximum limit of subscribed shall be 4 kg for an individual, 4 kg for HUF and 20 kg for trusts and similar entities per fiscal year (April – March) notified by the Government from time to time.
- The annual ceiling will include bonds subscribed under different tranches during initial issuance by Government and those purchase from the secondary market.
- In case of joint holding, the investment limit of 4 kg will be applied to the first applicant only.
- The tenor of the bond will be for a period of 8 years with an exit option in 5th, 6th and 7th year, to be exercised on the interest payment dates.
- Investors will be compensated at a fixed rate of 2.50% per annum payable semi-annually on the nominal value.
- It is mandatory for investors to provide bank account details to facilitate payment of interest / maturity value.
- The interest on gold bonds shall be taxable as per the provision of Income Tax Act, 1961 (43 of 1961). The capital gains tax arising on redemption of SGB to an individual has been exempted. The indexation benefits will be provided to long-term capital gains arising to any person on the transfer of bond.
- Bonds will be tradable on stock exchanges within a fortnight of the issuance on a date as notified by the RBI.
One Reply to “Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2021-22 Series I – Issue Price”